The OALM Finance Manager is designed to keep detailed Lodge finance records. The system allows multiple users to enter and update records and is easy enough to use so youth members of the lodge can be an integral part of the lodge financial record keeping.
This page contains basic information on how to setup then use the Finance Manager for your lodge. Three steps must be complete before being able to use the module.
These steps are broken out in the sections below. At the bottom is an overview of the main functionality of the Finance Manager
Select Account Setup
Enter the following:
Account Number - the account number that appears on the council's general ledger, this is a common number format. OA Accounts should have the following format on the council's general ledger 1-2371-xxx-xx.
Name - name of the account (a common name to be used throughout the Finance Module). Your council may already have a name for the account in their general ledger.
Description - a description of the account's use.
Opening Date - the date of the opening balance, no transactions can be entered earlier than this date.
Opening Balance - how much is in the account when the account's records start to be recorded in the Finance Module.
Selectand repeat step 2 for every account your lodge uses
Once finished adding accounts, click Save Changes.
Note: The first account that is created will be the Default account, this is the account that will be selected by default in the Finance Manager. To change the Default account click the check box next to the new default account. Also, if you don't want a Default account selected, you can uncheck the Default account box and not check a new one.
If an account is not being used by your lodge anymore, you can uncheck the Active box to keep the account in the system for record keeping purposes, but not actively use it for current bookkeeping.
Budgets, Category Groups, and Categories
Budgets Category Groups and Categories
For budgeting the Finance Module followings the following structure:
- Category Group
- Ordeal 1
- Ordeal 2
- National Dues
- Chapter 1
- Chapter 2
- Chapter 3
When transactions are entered in the Finance Manager they are entered into Categories. The Category Groups are there to make reports easier to read and to report on the different categories.
- To open the Setup Finance Budgets & Categories window, click Budget Setup
Create a budget. Click Add Budget Type
- Name - common name of the budget.
- Description - description of what the budget is for.
To create a Category Group, select the Budget where the group will be added, then select Add Category Group
- Name - common name of the category group.
- Description - description of what the category group is for.
To create a Category, select the Category Group where the category will be added, then select Add Category
- Name - common name of the category.
- Description - description of what the category is for.
- Repeat Steps 2-4 as necessary to create all Budgets, Category Groups, and Categories
New Budgets, Category Groups, and Categories can be added at any time. Additionally, the names and descriptions of any of the above can be changed as well.
Like an account, if a Budget, Category Group, or Category is no longer being used, it can be marked as inactive by unchecking the Active box.
If the creation of a Budget, Category Group, or Category was a mistake, it can be deleted by clicking the Delete button. It must not have any transactions, or budget years associated with it, otherwise an error screen will open.
To create a budgeting year, open the Annual Budget Manager.
- To create a budget for the year 20xx, select Create New Budget (screenshot)
- Select the Budget type in the Budget drop-down (if using more than 1)
- Enter the year under the Budget Year text box
- On the left panel, it will have the budget categories created under Budget Setup. Select the categories to be used in the year's budget.
- Click the arrow pointing right to put it into the year's budget; the category groups will automatically populate with the categories
- Once the categories are in the budget, enter the budgeted revenue and expense in their respective columns; a total will tally the amount of money budgeted at the bottom.
- Once finished, click Save to finish inputting budget data.
Note: If at any point a new category must be added to the budget year, or if the budgeted amount must change, use the Budget and Budget Year drop-down to select the type of budget and the year 20xx, and select Edit Budget to return to the year's Budget management window. Remember to click save once finished.
The Finance Manager is where the transactions are entered. Think of this as a check book ledger. It records the date , the payee, a description, the budget year, category and the amount the transaction was for.
There are three types of Transactions in OALM:
- Standard Transactions - Any payment being sent or received outside the lodge, such as the purchase of food for an induction.
- Account Transfers - The transfer of money between financial accounts managed by OALM, such as the Lodge purchasing merchandise from the OA trading post for use during an induction
- Category Transfers - Similar usage to an account transfer, but transfers occur within the OALM categories, not the council's OA general ledger accounts.
To enter a standard transaction into LodgeMaster, start by selecting the GL account where the transaction will be recorded. Afterwards, select the Budget Year when this transaction applies. Select the date the transaction took place. Type in the payee (if you've had a transaction with the payee before, it will appear in the drop down.) Input the payed/received amount (for expenses, press the minus key to make the transaction negative). Finally select the category corresponding to the transaction, and input in the memo any relevant information, such as what the transaction was for. To finish the transaction, select Save; the transaction will then populate in the grid below.
Some transactions payed or received need to be attributed to more than one category. For example, receiving one bill for all the food consumed at events; some lodges would want to split the expense to all events where they provided food.
To split a transaction:
- First input the Budget Year, Date, Payee, and Memo
- Select the Split button
- Input the Categories where the transaction is to be recorded, then the amount of money either expended or received (Remember to press the minus key for negative transactions)
- Click Save on the split menu, then save again on the transaction editor.
- The split transaction is now recorded under the appropriate financial account.